Tuesday, October 6, 2009

the uniform project.

i really miss the days when i was required to wear a uniform to school. i'm sure that you're probably thinking that this is super horrible of me considering the fact that i am majoring in fashion. but the thing is, uniforms aren't bad--- it's actually the test of someone's fashion savvyness. think about it: how can one stand out in a crowd of a hundred, all of whom are wearing the same thing?

well, ever since i heard about 'the uniform project', i've been quite impressed with the number of things people can do to make their uniform stand out. akanksha, the mastermind behind this project, has dedicated herself to wearing the same dress everyday for one year (365 days). to make things a bit interesting, everyday she has to totally reinvent the dress and give it a new meaning through layers and accessories. not only does this project encourage creativity, but it also promotes sustainable clothing.

all the money she makes in donations during this project goes to the akanksha foundation, which supports children in india.

for more information (and to see the uniform stylized in many different ways!), visit http://www.theuniformproject.com/

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I found this during the summer and it seriously amazes me and it still does. It's just really inspiring that she can wear something different everyday with just one dress. It makes me want to try this, but it would probably drive me crazy even though it would be fun. Great post! :)

BluesyFashionista said...

I agree with you Kelly, this is so inspiring, but I don't know if I could personally handle wearing the same thing everyday! This girl has guts and a unique style! She's adorable and also has a great hair cut. Great post!

Anonymous said...

This is such a cool idea! I went to the website to check out some more pictures of her daily outfits. Her closet must be the size of Texas! Seriously, I don't think she has repeated anything in her outfit BUT the uniform.

On the website, you can email her with ideas for her future outfits or you can donate your old accessories for her to use. She also encourages young designers to send her their creations to be displayed on her website.

I love it when someone comes up with a creative idea to utilize people's interest in fashion for a good cause. It shows that fashion people are not all selfish and materialistic.